Friday, August 21, 2009

A Quiet Moment with Garbanzo


Though I am working on many cats in the outside world, every day I am so grateful for my own cat, Garbanzo (pictured here with me - and yes, my hands look strange here, I was in the process of getting ready to plug my camera into my computer!).
Garbanzo was rescued from the streets of Williamsburg by an acquaintance who works at Animal Medical Center. She knew I was looking to get a cat, so I met her at AMC and I fell in love when I saw Garbanzo and adopted him. He was a wild, nearly-feral young guy who was pretty out of control when we first got him. He led me to TTouch in the first place, and has taught me so much. He has taught me how patient and respectful one needs to be with other creatures, especially those who have had a tough background and are afraid. I was totally bonded with him from day one, but was able to get closer and closer to him as he became less fearful and less apt to suddenly become over-stimulated and bite or scratch.
As you can see from this picture, he has calmed down considerably over the years. Often when I sit on the couch working on my laptop, he will come and snuggle next to me. As he has hyperthyroidism, I have him on a very low dose of medication and also need to monitor his heart rate, and he actually seems to enjoy when I listen to his heart with a stethescope. It has become like another way of connecting to him.
I'm very happy to say that this week he had blood work done and he is in tip top shape and looking good, especially for a gentleman who is nearly 16 years old :)
here's to you, Garbanzo!

No comments:

Post a Comment