Monday, December 21, 2009

Extra TLC for Garbanzo


It has got to be one of the most difficult things when one of our own animals is sick, we want so badly to help them and to have them tell us what they are feeling. My cat Garbanzo, pictured above, is nearly 16 and has been hyperthyroid for a couple of years, and he has been going strong and his levels are kept stable w/medication (Methimazole), and we are giving him quite a few other natural supplements to keep his immune system strong. He generally has a very enthusiatic appetite (that is a euphemism!), so if he is not interested in eating, I know that something is very wrong.
He was not interested in eating for several days, but really didn't have a lot of other symptoms, other than his heart rate being a bit elevated from the usual (I have a stethescope and listen to his heart rate every couple of days), and vomiting a little bit. I was able to get him to eat just very tiny bits of wet food or baby food. I gave him a homeopathic remedy recommended by my homeopathic vet (who I consult over the phone) that usually helps when Garbanzo has had digestive issues, but it didn't seem to have much effect.
This was several days into this so I decided it was time to take him to the conventional vet we use. When I took him to the vet, it turned out his blood levels were normal (his thyroid rate actually came down a bit from last time we checked) except for the amylase level, so the vet had us give him some pepcid ac, along w/metameucil and a hairball remedy because he found that Garbanzo seemed constipated and thought that might account for the decreased appetite.
After the first time giving him the pepcid, still Garbanzo was not hungry, though I tried all kinds of bribe foods -- sardines, tuna, baby food, etc. Earlier that day, I had done Reiki on him and had felt a lot of heat in the lower area of his body, near his tail. He had responded very much to the Reiki, and I felt his body relax with the warmth of my hands. At this point I was very mystified as to what was going on and, of course, continued to be stressed and concerned, even though his blood levels had at least ruled out some scary things.
I did some TTouch very slowly down his body, using connected abalone touches going down his body, and really felt him release and relax. I also did ear strokes and raccoon touches around the outside of his mouth, which he really responds to. He looked at me with an expression that told me, "Don't worry, I'm going to be all right." I do TTouch on Garbanzo all the time but at times like this I really try to become more focused and specific on what I am doing with him.
I went to the shelter to help a few animals there, and when I returned, my guy Jeffrey said he had noticed a change in Garbanzo, that he seemed better. Garbanzo and Jeffrey are very connected and great buddies, and Jeffrey often does some TTouch on Garbanzo as well. I had brought home some sliced turkey with me, as that was a bribe food I had not tried. Before I even unwrapped the turkey, Garbanzo had come up to me with his "looking for food" dance, looking as though he is praying to the refridgerator. I gave him a bit of the turkey, and he scarfed it down like his regular old self, and when I then gave him some wet food, he ate that enthusiatically as well. Hooray! Since Saturday night, he has been getting back to his regular feisty, hungry self. I have continued to do Reiki and TTouch on Garbanzo to try to help him along the way as well.
What a relief that was. I also want to mention that I had some wonderful insights given to me by my friend, animal communicator Eileen Garfinkel, as she had checked in with Garbanzo. Thanks so much! Here's to Garbanzo, and his continued heath, I love that little guy!

No comments:

Post a Comment