Wednesday, June 10, 2009

More Quiet Moments in the Shelter

Yesterday I went back to Social Tees (http://socialtees.com/), and one of the three kitties I had worked with has been adopted, yay! So I spent my time there yesterday with these two little sisters pictured here, who are the other two I have been working with. The striped girl in the front has been the most reluctant of the three to being touched (let's call her Kitty 1), and the white-and-tabby girl in the back (Kitty 2) has been the most accepting of being touched. Kitty 1 looks a little grumpy here, maybe it was because I interrupted doing TTouch to take a picture!) I started out as I have before, standing with my body sideways to the cage, using a wand with the ace bandage (corndog) on the end, doing small circles on the back of Kitty 1 first, then gradually doing some small circles with the corn dog on her head, toning the entire time. I actually started toning (speaking in a calm, low, soft voice) before I started doing TTouch on the cats, telling them I to be v-e-r-y quiet, that I would touch them v-e-r-y softly, etc. I think of Linda Tellington especially when I do the toning, as she has a very special way of toning that is so relaxing.
I had not touched Kitty 1 on her head before, so I did not know what would happen, but she really liked it. I continued with the corn dog on her head and body, then alternated to Kitty 2, using the wand and corn dog on her body and then her head.
I took some deep breaths and slowly reached in to try doing some TTouch with my hand. First I did it with a leather glove on, first one cat and then the other, light llama touches to see what the reaction would be. There seemed to be a general bubble of calm and the cats were blinking at me. Then I tried working with my bare hand on Kitty 2 first, on her body and head, raccoon touches on her head and then stroking her ears, and she was quite happy with this. She was very settled and just got more relaxed as I continued. As I had to reach over Kitty 1 to do this, she was also feeling my arm brush against her and she was also relaxing, and closing her eyes more, as I continued toning as I did this. As Kitty 2 was so accepting, I think it helped Kitty 1 to trust me more. I went then to Kitty 1, a little scared to touch her on the head as she can try to bite, but she was fine with this, and let me continue doing raccoon touch on her head, stroke her ears and do gentle touches on her body. I alternated doing between the two cats, so that each could have a break. So by the end of the session, I had been able to touch these cats all over their bodies and heads, whereas they had been reluctant to being touched at all just a week or two ago. This morning when I woke up, I saw myself doing TTouch on them again in my mind and am holding such good thoughts for these girls to have a wonderful home soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment